Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Parental Relationships

Here's something I thought was interesting and insightful from my Mum where she mentions the 'Follower' poem. She's talking about the different relationship between Mother/Son and Mother/Daughter, which is bound to be different, really, as it would be between Father/Don and Father/Daughter, if Dad were still alive...

Maybe it's not just a mother-daughter thing on the 'cross-over' - but it seems more dificult to manage than with sons - this strange period when the power between generations changes hands....the early dominant parent/child relationship gradually changes to child/parent..and it's hard for me to accept and you lot to manage that cross-over over the years while it's been happening So it's difficult for all while that power is being transferred and the adult children eventually assume responsibility but even then the parent has not yet arrived (me at the moment) at Shakespeare's 7th age - so sparks fly as it's difficult for both parties, especially when all strong willed. It's just trying to maintain the "I'm OK - You're OK" position (heard of that?) on my way to the 7th age when I finally relinquish all power 'sans everything'' and just shut up and do what I'm told.. Actually, that reminds me of one of Dad's favourite poems - "The Follower" I think it was called...Seamus Heany I think...

No comments: